Tuesday, September 11, 2012

marie

a sweet friend picked up this sassy little fruit suit while thrifting, and thought of me when she found that it was too short for her long torso. it turns out that having a short torso often comes in handy when it comes to vintage one pieces fitting well, so.. thanks, mother nature? i wanted to make sure i got to wear my wonderful, fruity gift while it's still super hot out, and so i wasted no time throwing it on under some black high rise denim for a little daytime adventurin'. as i was giving my outfit a final once over in the mirror, i realized that i reminded myself of someone. for a few minutes i couldn't place the resemblance, and then it hit me: my granny! i have albums full of family photos from the 50's, 60's and 70's that i like to look through all the time, and in almost all of the photo's of my granny from back then, she's in her backyard. she could be picking loquats from her tree, or watering her garden, chasing her kids around or just sunbathing, but she always looked effortlessly glamorous. she'd usually be wearing a little bustier top of some sort, or a bodysuit kinda like this one, (survival of the chic in the florida heat) tight, high waist jeans or shorts, cat eye glasses, and have a cigarette in hand or in her mouth. she loved to look cool. she used to spoil me rotten when i was younger, and buy me all the outfits and shoes i wanted, (toys were of little interest to me, i wanted the pretty things!) until my little kid closet was almost overflowing. since she passed away when i was 13, she never got to see my grown up style in person. i think she'd be proud if she could.






vintage fruity swimsuit, a gift from andrea, black high rise denim, cheap monday. yellow heels, f21. sunglasses, target. watch, granny's.

1 comment: